Monday, March 11, 2013

an excerpt


Many nights Meneeley suffered from the same haunting dream:

“I am at the YMCA swimming pool and everybody is naked. In those days [1950s] everyone swam naked, so it wasn't a big deal…in my dream, a circle of men wearing military uniforms parade around the edge of the pool and occasionally some grab each other and fall in. Once in the pool, they begin romping around, frolicking and having a good time, and I would fill in the gap in the line and keep walking. Eventually, I’m the only person too afraid to jump in.”

“Thinking maybe this could be treated, on my first appointment I carried in a painting, laid it on the floor in front of my therapist and said, 'Do what you want with this (pointing to my head) but leave this (pointing to the painting) alone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment